Subject: Re: [Leica] My take is for favorite sport is...
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:16:33 -0500

B.D. wrote:

> Speaking of hooligans and the America's Cup...There is a really wonderful B
> movie - don't know if it ever made it to theaters, or if it went straight to
> video and airplanes - about an America's Cup challenge. It's titled, oddly
> enough, Sail,

B.D., you have the title wrong, the movie is called 'Wind.' I spent two
weeks with the film crew in Newport while they were there filmming in 1991.
The movie never amounted to much at the box office. The director was Carroll
Ballard, who previously had directed 'The Black Stallion' the Director of
Photography was John Toll who went on to win back-to-back Oscars for 'The
Legend of the Fall' and 'Braveheart' Strange how things can happen in
Hollywood. The money for 'Wind' came from some Japanese business men who
where 'Cup' nuts and thought a feature movie should be made, so they blew
about 20 million.

The movie was shot entirely with two prototype Aaton 35mm hand held cameras
(one of them was dropped overboard in 100 feet of salt water, recovered and
in operation again two days later).

All of the scenes where spray was coming over the bow was shot with a
strange contraption that blew wind at the lenses to deflect the spray.

For some reason I was the only still photographer allowed on the set. I had
photos published in many magazines. I used five Nikon Fs, I had an M2 with
me but never used it (OT).

Probably the most fun shoot I ever had.

sl