Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Experience with NY institute of Phtography?
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:40:14 -0500

I took this course about 20 years ago and while I do believe it was worth
the money for me, I'm not sure it's the best way for everyone to learn.

When I took the class, I was assigned sections to read, given an assignment
and given a test. The assignment was sent in with the test and a taped
review by an instructor was mailed back pointing out both the good and bad
aspects of how well the assignment was executed. The test was graded.

The good things about the class are that it is self-paced...you determine
how quickly you want to move through the material. It also covers quite a
lot of ground from the basics to studio lighting, composition, weddings and
location portraiture. Even back then the materials were excellent...I still
have all of them.

The downside, in retrospect, is that there is not (or were not) structures
in place to get hands-on help. If you can read, understand and apply what
you've read, you'll do great. If that isn't how you learn, this class most
likely isn't for you.

You might also consider a continuing education class through your local
college since what you're striving to do is beef up what you already know.
That would give you the opportunity to learn with others, to ask questions
and get immediate feedback.

Lea