Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Experience with NY institute of Phtography?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:01:44 -0400

At 08:35 AM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:

> > : Hi,
> > :
> > : I am thinking of "extending my current professional activity" with
> > : photography. I mean small assignements, selling pic, exhibition, a book,
> > : etc. I was trying to find some online/correspondence course in
>Photography
> > : to get a better background.
> > :
> > : NY Inst. of Phot. seems to be one of the well known "faculty".
> > : Tina Manley mentionned in her interview in Photographer's Forum that she
> > : took that class.
> > :
> > : Anyone else has experience with NYIP? Any comments? Is that worth the
> > money?
> > : What is the level of their class? How long does it take?
> > : I am afraid it is only what can be found in any photography book: use
>f16
> > : for landcape, use fast shutter speed with tele, ...
> > :
> > : Thanks, logan.

Hi, Logan -

I did take the course - 26 years ago when I was living in Iran.  It was the
only way I had to learn about photography at that time and place.  There
are so many opportunities now, that I'm not sure I'd go with a
correspondence course again.  "Hands-on" is so much more valuable for
learning, not to mention much faster feedback than correspondence!

If you are living at the end of the earth with no community college courses
or opportunities for workshops, then a correspondence course might be
ideal.  You can learn the same thing from books, but you don't get the
personal criticism of your own work which is necessary to progress.

And for learning the business of photography, ASMP and its guidebooks are
great.

Hope this helps.

Tina

P.S.  I'm back from Honduras with filthy clothes, muddy boots, and working
cameras!   The M7 and Digilux performed flawlessly.  I'm developing film now.

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from:
http://www.pdiphotos.com