Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Experience with NY institute of Phtography?
From: "Doug Lee" <drlee9@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:35:20 -0400

I agree with Lea. I bought the course 1-2 years ago and didn't complete it.
I think I sent in the first two assignments.

The course does have useful information. The advantages of the course are
that it is self-paced and you do get feedback via an audio cassette from
your "instructor". I found the materials and examples to be very dated. Lea
said she took the course 20 years ago. I bet if you compared her materials
to mine you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Of course, f-stops
are f-stops and shutter speeds are... well, you get the idea.

Personally, I like the hands-on approach of taking a course locally. I am
fortunate in that I am able to take courses at the International Center of
Photography (ICP) in NY. Highly recommended.

If you want to do something self-paced and get feedback on your progress,
I'd get some good photo books (those by Horenstein and London/Upton off the
top of my head), read them, practice and do a PAW or something similar for
feedback.

My 2 cents worth.

- -Doug (who is still artistically challenged, but hopes to post some photos
after the house remodelling, summer vacations, etc., etc., etc....)
Douglas Richard Lee
Cinnaminson, NJ
609-304-5827