Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M3 vs Fuji 6x9
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:51:27 -0700

SthRosner@aol.com wrote:

> I am without doubt the least qualified person on this list to opine. But I
> believe you said it yourself, Dante:
>
> In a message dated 6/29/02 3:24:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dante@umich.edu
> writes:
>
> >  With a 15x loupe, I don't see much difference in what is resolved on film
>
> If the image that is produced on the film is equal, is there really a
> question, given the difference in handling, weight and bulk?
>
><Snip>

Seth and all:

You don't see it with a Loup.

What your going to get with 6x9 is richness of image. Silver not spread
very thin at all.

What we are used to seeing is a small amount of silver stretched out 6
to 9 times.   (8x10's or 11x14's)
But all of a sudden now we are seeing a LARGE amount of silver barley
stretched at all. 2.6 to 4 times for those same prints!

Hence the richness.
The magnification ability at these magnifications of the 6x9 negative is
being SEVERELY UNDER TAXED!!!!!!!.

At 20x24 and bigger for the few who do their work that size the image
starts to fall apart from a 35mm neg no matter which film just because
of the magnifications involved which are of course 20x +.

But think many of the Fuji 6x9 users just do it for the richness.
Sharpness is less of an issue. And for normal print sizes not huge blowups.

For me; 645 would do the trick for most of my medium format work. But
double that size? That's like shooting sheet film with roll film and i
think that is what this is all about. Shooting sheet film on a roll. For
those ultra low magnifications.

Some of us no doubt get around all this be sticking with our Leica's and
just having wallets made!  :)
That's about a 2.6 magnification from a 35mm neg i think.

I'd be worried about bokeh but I'd love to have this brand of Texas
Leica - the Fuji 6x9 to make spontaneous and ultra rich images. As well
as tripod shots.
Printed full frame black border as i always print people would assume it
was 35mm as the ratio is exactly the same.

But there 'd be a quality to the image which you'd not be able to put a
finger on.
		"What film do you shot what with?" they'd say
		"Tech Pan" I'd say. (I'd shot it with Neopan 400 Xtol 1:3 in 6x9)
He He He!!

But then i'd tell them of course!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA