Subject: Re: [Leica] That McNally Book!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:04:52 -0700

Slobodan wrote: an eloquent bit...... ;-)  truthfully!!!!

> I finally got to see the book "Faces of Ground Zero." What a piece
> of...oops...forgot we're in gentile company. It is by far the worst
> example of portraiture I've come across in a long, long time. <<<

Slobodan old buddy I sure hope you have double thickness flak jackets handy
when the incoming begins! ;-)  Particularly after adding this:

>>> I can see why the LA Times review was guarded, given the inflamed
> sensibilities at the moment. An then of course with Bushkrieg going on,
> it makes for a touchy issue. However, as a photographer, and a
> portraitist, it is very, and I mean very hard to sit silently on a
> sideline while this kind of tripe is larded on us.<<<

What I find interesting is...... it's wonderful to have someone like
yourself come out and speak the truth, particularly at such an emotionally
touchy time in your country.

What happens sometimes as you know is, an assignment is given to a big name
who is paid an enormous amount of money due to the name and reputation and
who can do no wrong with a camera...... and it's OOPS! :-(

This usually occurs when emotions are running high and huge dollar returns
can be seen on the horizon because he can do no wrong and people will buy
because of the name and the emotional moment of the happening!  And it's too
bad and sad.

But I'd check my phone anytime you use it and listen for strange sounding
clicking.... or guys wearing black suits and dark glasses following you
about LA. Trust me they wont be the actors from "Men in Black II" ;-)

Now Slobodan tell us how your really feel?  :-)

>>A redeeming part of the trip to the book store was seeing Tina's piece in
PF.<<<

And rightly so, as I received a copy when I returned from Phoenix and it's a
good interview with a wonderful lady whose a very talented photographer. And
any of you folks who haven't read it should make an effort to find a copy,
after all she's our LUG Mom! ;-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant