Subject: [Leica] Service issues with Gateway...digital darkroom update
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:10:45 -0700 (PDT)

I've been keeping the LUG updated on the progress of
implementing a digital darkroom, but given what
happened in the past 24 hours, thought I would copy
all.

In the past month I've installed a new Gateway
computer, two new Epson 3000's with Peizotone and
Generations inks, an Epson 2450, and shortly a Nikon
8000 scanner.  While there was a lot of trial and
error, and a few glitches along the way, overall
service by all parties was great...until today.

Last night the Gateway would not turn on. Called
Gateway support, they said to take it to a Gateway
service center (about a 30 minute drive from my
house).  Given the service I have gotten from Epson, I
figured if they didn't fix it while I waited, that I
would certainly have it by tonight. NOT!

Seems I have a dead power supply. They don't stock
them at the service center (got to be nuts, or else
they simply don't stock any parts at all..which is
what I suspect).  They told me 5 days to get the part,
so I am without computer until next week! I complained
about this and was told..."You are lucky it's new,
otherwise it would be four weeks."

I plan to check on other service capabilities by Dell,
HP, Compaq, IBM, etc. A PC is a simple device. I am
sure some of these have service plans that can fix any
hardware fault within 48 hours. If so, I'll put the
Gateway on eBay and go with something else. My advice
ot all is pay extra, and DON'T BUY A GATEWAY.

This is horrible service for a part that they could
overnight me and it would be fixed in less than 24
hours...