Subject: Re: [Leica] GeeBees' PAW Week 26
From: "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:04:28 +0100

From: "Michael Gerard" <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: 02 July 2002 05:37

> Graham,
>     I like the train in the shot, and love the way that the smoke mixes
> with the clouds.  Why did you decide to include so much sky in the shot?
> Just curious...
>     Also, my compliments on your latest batch of strangers shots.  My
> theory is that the reason why you are getting so much better on these is
> because you are less anxious approaching strangers, and so are better able
> to think about exposure, framing and composition. If my theory is true,
> that would mean that the project is having its intended effect.  Any truth
> to my theory?
> Regards,
> Michael Gerard
> geeman1066@earthlink.net
>
> geebeespaw wrote:
>
> > Week 26
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/week_26.html
> >
> > PAW Index
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/paw_index.html
Michael,
Thanks for the input. I included loads of sky because I felt that it was
more photogenic than the foreground because of the fence between the cycle
track and the train line. That said, I would have probably gone with the sky
if the fence wasn't there :-) I love good skies in photographs and we are
getting an amazing run of them at the moment.
The strangers thing? It's not getting any easier. If it were I would go out
this week and polish them off. The standard has improved with the inclusion
of some 'context' shots but I feel it does compromise the rules of 'in the
street' and 'fill the frame'. The 'context' stuff is a little easier only
because I can stay back a bit and not have to shove the camera in someones'
face to fill the frame. In addition the subject feels more comfortable if
they can understand my reason for wanting to photograph them.
You may get a feel for the degree of my discomfort by stopping someone in
the street, asking their permission to take a shot from uncomfortably close
range and then asking them for their name. I break out in a cold sweat just
writing it down.
Graham

Replies: Reply from Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] GeeBees' PAW Week 26)
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] GeeBees' PAW Week 26)