Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: slice of life vs decisive moment
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:19:20 +0200

Dear B.D.,
I see your point, but I still regard this particular picture as being above
a casual snap. <A decisive moment> it isn't, but it carries / conveys
interaction (or lack of it? or a different kind of it?) between the
portrayed people. I like the fact the picture has 2 centres of attention -
the sign and the flag - and the fact that one has to make a little effort to
view / compare / evaluate expressions on the faces. And I doubt if one could
get anything like this with an AF because of the focusing / shutter lag.
You can't label the picture easily, right, and maybe that's why I like it -
it adds some mystery to a seemingly obvious and potentially bland scene. But
then - it's just my opinion -     :-)

Martin

Mārtiņš -If this is what Leicas were really designed to do, I'll bet Oskar
B. is lying in his grave laughing his butt off thinking about the 10s of
millions of dollars the company has raked in selling cameras to take photos
that could be taken just as well, and far easier, with $50 point-and-shoots.
;-)

B. D.

I am confused - is it a personal question? Or does it go to the LUG list as
always?

Anyway, if it's addressed to me - no, I was and am serious - I like the the
spontaneity about the picture, and so the bright number seems essential to
the composition. It doesn't offend me in the least that the bright patch
stands out as it does. Nothing staged or awkward about the shot, but a slice
of life; not a <decisive moment>, but a real photo, smth. more than <just a
snapshot>; IMHO Leicas were made to capture pictures exactly like this one.

Martin

So you were joking when you praised the photo?

>Just wondering:
>What's decisive about the moment? What makes this an outstanding
photograph?

>B. D.

:-) I know a joke when I see one. Jingle bells ;-)

Perhaps you don't understand the Poms, and their flag waving
evenings: there will always be an England. Well as has been
popularized by comics over the years:

The English the English the English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.

And all the world over its always the same,
they've simple no notion of "playing the game".
They argue with umpires and cheer when they've won,
and they practice before hand which ruins the fun.

The English art noble the English are nice
and worth any other at double the price.

The English are all that a nation should be
so up with the English and down with the rest ;-)

- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com

http://www.familyofman2.com