Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuel to the M7 discussion fire + spot meters
From: William Gower <w_gower@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:04:36 -0400

Herbert Kanner wrote:

> Some of the discussion of the M7 has been positively mouth-watering.  Oh,
> that I were rich.  However, let me play devil's advocate.  I try, when I
> can remember to do so, to put a crappy little Olympus Stylus Epic in my
> trouser pocket whenever I go out.  Actually, it takes surprisingly good
> pictures.  So, I'm in a local market and see a photogenic girl behind a
> counter.  I was carrying the thing in spot metering mode, and in the second
> it took for me to partially depress the shutter, freezing the focus and
> exposure, she shouted: "Don't take my picture!"  This might be compared to
> the moment Tina took to freeze the exposure by aiming at the floor with the
> M7.

Crappy nonetheless, the Olympus Stylus is an amazing snap-happy little
camera for $100.

Like Mark R. said about what defines a spot meter, the Olympus spot metering
function isn't really a "spot meter", but it can come in handy.

This was taken near Sintra, Portugal last year.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/w_gower/home/temp/images/forest_toned_web.jpg

Using PS7 I set the levels, did some "smart sharpening" and applied a layer
to get the warm tone. The print was outputted to a lightjet/
pictography-type printer on photographic paper 7 x 9.5" at 400 dpi and
turned out much better than the 100K scan would suggest.

(My Epson printer has a terminal head-clog, so until I can get my hands on a
2200 I'm getting the lab to print for me)

But enough about the Olympus epic.

As far as the M7 and AE goes, whatever works for you, use it. I'd consider a
M7 for the new finder and TTL flash alone - the AE would be a bonus, but I
know I would use it.

AE or no AE, the key will always be familiarity with your equipment. Once
you are comfortable with your cameras you can work around the "limitations"
as necessary.

William