Subject: RE: [Leica] Oh man do I have solutions...
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:33:28 -0600

Hi John,

No I don't have one of those chest vests (think of getting one every now and
then). I'm not sure if they hang entirely from the shoulders, or if there is
some kind of belt too. Try e-mailing Wesley Bocxe at the site

I spent a long time carrying heavy stuff in the British Army's 58 pattern
webbing. It has belt with pouches and then a shoulders strap suspender
(actually, braces - suspenders are what hold up women's stocking!!) system
(generally I found, more comfortable than the US system).

This would seem an ideal for you, with the combination of weight taken
around the waist, and a bit over the shoulders (the above combination
without the suspenders was usable at times, but without the suspenders, it
never felt comfortable, in the same way I have never get on with hip belts -
that extra supper over the shoulders - which you can vary - makes a lot of
difference).

However, walking around in ex-military webbing really makes you look nerdy,
like a survivalist/gun-nut, or suspicious to a lot of cops...! The Canadian
army makes a similar getup - maybe it can be got in black?

Another thought would be this - Do you still actually get foot deliver from
Canada Post down there? (gone the way of the Dodo up here). They have a very
similar set up to the webbing idea - belt, bags on either side and a neat
suspender system, For carrying tones of mail and not getting back problem.
Maybe the bags can be converted or changed? Think about mugging your local
postman.

or again, you could try the simplest model of this?
http://www.vestedinterest.com/xtra.htm

again, most of the weight is over the shoulders, but it would be much more
evenly distributed...?

Lastly, try http://www.kinesisgear.com - they do a modular
pouch/belt/suspender system. I think you can get some larger pouches to go,
instead of tones of little ones. It's very similar to a military webbing set
up (though based on what is, IMO the somewhat inferior older US army
system). And the website is kinda confusing.

Yes guys - I've obviously spent way too much time thinking about this!
Actually, I've never come across a system of this sort that works - always
thought of designing my own. Never got around to it though...

tim