Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon 8000 scanner
From: Simon Lamb <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 19:40:02 +0100

On 6/7/02 2:52 pm, "Darrell Jennings" <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just bought one and will be using it shortly. Anyone
> have experience with this scanner?  Anything special
> that a new owner ought to know? (being used with
> Windows machine)

Darrell

Go to http://www.imaging-resource.com and look in the filmscanners forum.
There are many issues with the 8000 that have been explained in this forum,
such as banding issues and depth of field on medium format film being too
small if the film is not completely flat.  If you are only doing 35mm work
then you may not hit the DOF issue, although if that is the case, why didn't
you get the LS4000.

On the LS4000, you should be aware that Nikon state that you should not scan
BW film as RGB positive since the scanner will not find the gaps between the
frames.  I had all sorts of frame misalignment and eventually sent the
scanner back as I predominantly scan BW film.

You will certainly find that the LED light source of the Nikon scanners will
bring out every bit of dust, scratches, bits of dirt and film grain.  ICE is
almost a necessity with these scanners, and I found that BW film was
especially hard to scan cleanly (and of course you cannot use ICE with BW
film except the C41 process films).

The forum I mentioned above should give you all the info you need.

Simon