Subject: [Leica] Using Leica in Middle East
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:06:05 -0400

Photographing Arab women in the Middle East is one of my personal projects. The
"trick"  is to photograph the women far from the company or gaze of their male
relatives. Local mores notwithstanding, almost everyone is flattered to have his/her
own picture taken. Catching women shopping in market places is a good place to start.
If you ask "moomkin?" (possible), the answer will usually be "la!" (no), because your
question has initiated a public event and that's exactly what they must avoid.

Dust -- blown sand -- is your worst enemy, after saltwater spray. I had my favourite
Leica 35mm lens serviced last year after many trips to the Middle East. The
technician reported that the focussing mount was full of sand. Use Ziplocs when you
aren't shooting and if desert lands become frequent destinations, plan on more
frequent clean & lubes.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal