Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Viewfinder Question
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:14:49 -0400

- --On Saturday, July 27, 2002 11:17 PM -0700 Ted Bayer
<tedbayer@harbornet.com> wrote:

> I currently have an M3 and like it very much.
>
> Today I decided I might also look into an SLR camera.  Not having a
> Leica dealer close by so I could look at an R8, which would be my
> choice, I looked at some Nikon and Canon cameras -- and was totally
> disappointed in the viewfinders.
>
> I am very nearsighted.  These viewfinders could be corrected so I could
> see through them clearly with my glasses on, but I found them very hard
> to use -- hard to focus, and things look very small compared to the M3
> viewfinder.
>
> I am wondering if some of you could tell me if this might also be true
> of the R8 - is it's viewfinder somewhat the same as the ones mentioned
> above.  If so, I think I would be disappointed in it as well.
>
> I would appreciate your comments.

In my opinion, the R8 has the best viewfinder of any SLR currently on the
market.

The brightness and clarity are actually somewhat startling the first time
you try one. But whether that translates into best for you is hard to say
- -- you really need to find one and try it for yourself.

FWIW, I found myself in the market for a new SLR last year and thought I
would probably wind up with a Nikon F100. Tried it, hated it. I hadn't
really considered the R8 but when I tried it, it was everything I wanted --
and then some.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com