Subject: Re: [Leica] Large images
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:33:35 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Interesting point. Particularly if the critics of digital printing would be
> honest enough to make a similar statement about digital prints. The
> question, with any and all print media, is what does it look like when
> viewed from the intended viewing distance. What an 11x14 or 30x40 looks like
> when some anal retentive steps up to the gallery wall to examine it with a
> loupe is really irrelevant. ;-)
>
> B. D.

Avedon has his image blown up 10 feet tall and hung up in the Met and I
hear the look great.
And I saw he's often cropping almost 24x36mm sized areas out of 60x60 mm negs!

I believe it is true that each image would have it's own size that it
works best at. ... that is the size it perhaps should only be.
This size is often Previsualized,
A photographer who always prints 11x14 would perhaps unconsciously
SHOOTING for that size.
A photographer who always printed 5x7 would not be shooting stuff which
was all about textures.

It seems to me I've gone back to the same neg to print it a different
size and found it un successful. A bad comparison.

B.D. I often see these Digital ink jet printers advertised and there's
one in the photo store which are designed to make mural sized prints.
They look like electric pianos. The look like they'd be priced to sell
to the consumer public but always find they are ten grand.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com