Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:05:39 -0700

Bill said:
>>> As I'm planning today, I believe I will be able to make this sort of
career change.
> As for health, I exercise and watch what I eat- but I know there are no
guarantees :)
> I know several active photographers who are in their 70's, so that should
give me 10 - 12 yrs. of shooting travel, stock and fine art images.
> Forever hopeful,<<<

Hi Bill,
Sounds like you've got the right attitude! good on you. :-)

>>> I know several active photographers who are in their 70's, <<

Not sure if yer including me in that number, but heck at 73 I'm rockin' n'
rollin better than when I was 30!  :-) And I'm serious! Hell when you get to
this age it's wonderful as you can kick ass when yer right and feel no fear
from dummies just out of school who think they own the world! ;-) Nor some
adults short a few bricks of a full load! ;-)

Keeping reasonably fit is a must without question! Because if you don't have
a good set of legs under you and reasonably fit body it can keep you
frustrated until you die and your dreams die with you.

One doesn't have to be some physical Adonis, but it's not carrying extra
body baggage, walk lots and stretch like a cat as often as you can and it'll
help keep your body flexible to get about and gung ho.

I work out three mornings a week for an hour and power walk at 6 a.m close
to an hour the other three mornings... take one morning off!

I see no reason to stop at 73 as I'm more excited with photography now than
ever before because of the projects that keep coming up, offered or created
for new books. The most important thing beyond physical stuff is being true
to yourself that you still produce the quality of work people know you for.
If you can't, get out of it, lie back and watch clouds form!

Otherwise you'll push on like an aging athlete and no matter how
good-great-whatever you were and admired for will become tarnished and
you'll start to receive pity notes! ;-(  So far I'm lucky I haven't received
any! ;-)

I wish you well, always think positive and be young at heart!
ted