Subject: Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 15:10:12 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> OH pulllleeeeze....Can't you just seem them all lining up to buy M7s and
> "blaze away" with a flash system they can only use on manual when other
> manufacturers offer normal sync to at least a 250th - some higher - with
> full auto capabilities.
>
> We all love the M6 and M7 for what they are....not what they aren't. They
> are not cameras for use with flash in bright sun - even with the cobbled
> together system the M7 now has for high-speed flash work....
>
> B. D.

Only on manual? you mean you set the flash to match the distance?
I must have forgotten to read the manual!  :)

Well OK then I'm wrong but to the many photographers like myself who
often use a Norman Battery powered flash or Lumidine or something to the
effect manual flash is what we're using all the time say for location
catalog stuff, fashion. And some of us prefer it in general. Using a
manual system to cover an event, wedding or a Reportage deal (if a
catalog photographer would also be doing Reportage) might not seem like
that big of a jump.
We're just not going to be able to deal with stuff rushing  towards or
away from us very quickly as we would not be able to change the distance
setting on the flash as quickly as an Automatic sensor…

Another way of looking at it: how often are Normans or Lummides or such
batter powered manual strobes still getting dragged along to do a
reportage thing? I'd bet it still happens pretty often. I'll bet
National Geographic photographers work like this often. I know some now
have to have auto use the ugly heavy Quantum thing.
I do think of Mimimata and other Life stories from a half century ago
but that would seem to be beyond the point.
i do think that way of working which the Academic world thought of as
prime examples of avaible light photography and turned out to be bounce
lighting of flashbulbs or manual strobes has not stopped happening and
is still happening.

So maybe it depends on which kind of story your covering.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com