Subject: Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <gilplant@hvc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 18:50:10 -0400

And only with the Metz 54MZ-3. First you set the flash to manual. Then
set the flash to high-speed sync. Then guess the distance. Then set the
aperture on the camera. Set the shutter to 1/250, 1/500, or 1/1000. Then
set the aperture on the flash so the flash can tell you the distance. If
the distance isn't right or if you want to balance flash against ambient
light set the flash for partial power. Because you remembered to tell
the flash the aperture, it will re-compute the distance for you. Figure
out where your subject went running off to. Grab the R8 or other SLR and
be ready for the next shot.

Actually, I've done it just to see if it worked. It does. So does the
rear curtain sync. I haven't tried the silly strobe setting. And I
wouldn't think of using the HSS on a real job.

It would be nice if Leica would get Metz to make an update to the SF-20
that did HSS a little more intuitively, and even better, give us some
sort of double-shoe solution to the
off-camera-flash-while-using-an-auxiliary-finder problem, one that
doesn't induce parallax problems. I suspect that's too much to ask.

Gilbert