Subject: Re: [Leica] question on brightness range...WHO CARES!
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:02:37 -0700

animal writes:
 > I have the following question:
 > Does a CCD have less or more capability in recording different light levels
 > then black and white film.
 > To refrase,was wondering I know that in resolving power film is still more
 > then an order of magnitude ahead of digital but wondered if the same was
 > true regarding the number of stops it can span in a single frame.
 > Thanks for the help
 > simon jessurun
 > p.s.  only use the Leica and the Sinar,have no use anymore for the Nikon,s
 > so traded them Honest!.

You have to be very careful when you're asking this type of question,
the answer depends a lot on which digital technology you're comparing
too.

Stephen Johnson (http://www.sjphoto.com) shoots with a Better Light
(http://www.betterlight.com) scanning back in a Sinar 4x5 body.  I've
seen subsections of images shot back to back w/ film (100asa color
print, scanned on a drum scanner) and the digital back.  The grain in
the film gets in the way of making out detail in the image *way*
before the ccd's image breaks down.

Likewise, the camera has an extraordinary brightness range.  The old
saw about not bothering to go out shooting at noon on a sunny day
doesn't apply.  Steve even complains that he never gets any down time,
because the light's always "good".  If you're willing to restrict
yourself to grayscale, he has a modified back/software that lets you
map the three rows of ccd's in the scanning array to three different
brightness ranges, one's tuned to highlights, one to mids, one to
darks.  I think that I said that he covers 22 stops of brightness (but
I may be misquoting).  It's tricky to put the data back together, but
interesting nonetheless.

Of course, cheap digital cameras (like the D[36]0 and the D1[hx]) are
another story... ;)

g.

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] question on brightness range...WHO CARES!)
Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] question on brightness range...WHO CARES!)