Subject: Re: [Leica] What hath Kyle wrought...
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:27:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 08 August 2002, Magnessbill@aol.com wrote:
> I think it all depends on when you got into leica, a lot of "experienced"
> photographers hate the collapsible lens shade, I on the other hand really like
> them- you can slide them in to see the whole viewing area and then slide them
out
> if you need extra flare protection. On the noct. much of the viewfinder is
> blocked, with that big shade even more. I think that replacing that big shade is
> aesthetic, Mitch likes the look. As far as making pictures, I would argue that
> the more you actually see in the viewfinder is most important. And that is the
> reason for the new design.
>
> I'm a user not a collector, but I like to trade up whenever I can, I cant see
> de-valueing my investment that much for aesthetics.
> Bill   asmp

Snort!  A *lot* of assumptions there...

As a former pro of 10 years and an amateur for almost 35, the Noct is all about
the images I capture, *not* the image I exude.  Here is an example of a Noct pano
from a couple years ago:
http://members.aol.com/zeissleica/private/Silver.JPG

I had an earlier E58 1975-6 era Noct with the removable hood and thought it was
just about perfect.  I recently replaced it with a new one because I wanted
current lens coatings and have read the E60 versions have a little less
vignetting when wide open.  However, I found the built-in hood on the new Noct to
be worthless, as it is too shallow, retracts at inopportune times and does not
offer any real protection to the lens from bumps and such.  The replacement
screw-in *metal* hood is actually slimmer and deeper than the one I yanked off,
is more substantial and offers more protection.  The only reason I painted the
replacement was the golden metallic finish would throw the light into the camera
viewfinder at times.

For the record, the image in the camera viewfinder is immaterial to me when using
the 50 and the 24; with those two lenses, I only use the camera VF for focusing,
and instead use an external brightline viewfinder for composition, as Steve can
attest.  I find the external VFs to be a real help in low light conditions and
devoid of any patch flare that might distract me from composing.

Frankly, I don't care what removing the built-in hood did to the "collector"
value of the lens; I'm not into it as an investment and am not planning on
departing with this Noct.  I'm into it to take the best shots possible, Noct or
otherwise.  Latest shots can be found here:
http://members.aol.com/noctizeiss/private/index.htm

Lastly, anyone that has been following my posts for past 3 years knows that I do
whatever I can to improve my shots and the workings of the Leica gear I own,
including the use of duct tape for bouncing with an SF 20, etc.  I use and handle
my gear with care, but it *does* get used.

Regards,

/Mitch