Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Bouncing baby email question
From: Emilio Perea <eperea@walkereng.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:41:15 -0500

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 06:11:37PM -0600, John Collier wrote:
> Yes I know that. Spam from other sources is what I was enquiring about.
> So if I bounce a message, do I ruin their day, frost their toes, etc;
> or, do they just snicker and keep them coming?

The odds are they won't see them at all.  The typical spammer uses a
fake envelope address, so somebody else will get the bounces.

E.g. I get one of those huge address lists to advertise a get-rich-quick
scheme or porno site and send out 100,000 or more copies.  Since probably
half of those addresses are no longer good, if I used my real address I
would get 50,000 bounces.  So I use your address instead, and you get
all the bounces.  (This is known as a joe-job.)

Nowadays it is more common use a made-up name @hotmail.com or @yahoo.com
(who get so much they can't do much about it).

I have 2,691 double-bounces in my SNAFU mailbox, mainly from spammers,
so I feel rather strongly about the subject. :-)

So if you bounce real spam, it is likely to bounce back to your mail
server's administrator or annoy an innocent third party.  It is
extremely unlikely that it will bother the spammer.

Emilio

Message from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT: Bouncing baby email question)