Subject: [Leica] Catholic christening
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:05:38 -0400

I've been asked to photograph a christening at a catholic mass here in DC.
I've never done one before.  Obviously, I'm going to need to talk to the
parish to find out their rules for photography (other than no flash). But
are there any particular things I should worry about?

I plan to shoot in B/W, probably with neopan 1600 so I can shoot without
flash.  It's been a while since I used it.  I think I rated it at 1200 last
time and developed it in XTOL 1+1.

I'm limited to summicrons, so I'll need that higher film speed.  But at
least that will give me more dof than a noctilust.  Depending on how close
they let me get, I plan to use either a 35mm and a 50mm, or a 50mm and a
90mm.  I'll load up two bodies so I don't have to switch lenses.  Am I right
in thinking that the actual baptism will be very brief?

I guess my main question is will I be able to see the child without being on
top of them? And also, which way everyone will be facing?  If I have to talk
them into letting me stand in a certain place, what should I push for?  To
the side in front by the pews, or behind in the corner?  The church is Holy
Trinity in Georgetown, which I believe is theologically relatively
conservative if that makes a difference on how they conduct the baptism.

Any tips will be gratefully received.

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Catholic christening)
Reply from Mike Durling <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Catholic christening)