Subject: Re: [Leica] Catholic christening
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:34:50 -0500

You couldn't ask for an easier sacrament to shoot. The font may be in one of
several places in the church depending on how newly built or remodeled the
church is. It could be up front, in the back (likely if the church is new)
or even in the middle. A quick walk around will be sufficient to let you
know where things are. The font could be a walk-in kind or a small one that
the baby is held over.

If the baby is held over the font, the priest is typically on the opposite
side. If it's a walk-in type, the priest may get right in with the baby.
Some churches dip and drag the baby...so you might want to ask their policy.

Most Catholic 'no flash' rules are out when shooting baptisms. Since this is
a welcoming of a new member, excitment and joy are normal and flashes seem
to get lost in the emotion. Some baptisms happen during a Mass and some
afterwards. At our church they happen during and family photographers are
invited to the altar to shoot. Is that cool or what?

On the altar you should expect to see the parents, God-parents, priest and
servers as well as the baby. In some cases siblings are present.

Besides the water part of the baptism ceremony, there is a candle lighting,
blessing with chrism oil and a dressing in white or a presentation of a
white garment. These are all as important as the water so be sure to get
shots of them.

Good luck...you'll do just fine. It's a cakewalk.
Lea