Subject: [Leica] X-raying of film by overnight couriers
From: jgluckphoto66@netscape.net
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 02:47:50 -0400

To lighten my load when travelling to Hawaii in October, I'm thinking of
overnighting all my unexposed film to the place I'll be staying at. Last
year I travelled to Hawaii on 10/7, the day we starting bombing
Afghanistan, and no one at the gate was in a mood to give me the legally
required hand check of film when I asked for it. (I'm a lawyer but know
when not to press the issue.) My ISO 100, 400 and 800 films went through
with no ill effects, but I'd rather not chance it again, especially
since I plan on taking some 1600 stock.

Does anyone out there know which (if any) overnight carriers X-ray their
packages? I have accounts with FedEx, UPS, Airborne and DHL, but can't
get a straight answer. I can use the Postal Service to Express Mail it,
but am I at more risk with them? The counter personnel at the local post
office can't really give me a straight answer.

Thanks to Dick Williams and Brian Ellis on the photo tips. I went to
www.photographamerica.com and ordered the two back issues.

Jeffrey Gluck

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] RE: X-raying of film by overnight couriers)