Subject: Re: [Leica] Film follow up on Nathan's PAW 32
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:56:05 -0400

Greetings Michael,

Lets see, C-41 is just the process name for the standard Kodak process for
color negative film.  XP2, and Kodak's various offerings are color neg film
with a single gray dye layer.  Typically, these films are finer grained than
their comparable traditional films.  Also, as color negative material they
can provide useable images from two stops underexposed to as many as five
stops overexposed(think really long, and I mean go to lunch long print
exposures).  The Illford material you received probably works best when
overexposed about half a stop(320 EI).  Usually, apparent grain decreases
with overexposure and if you are patient, highlights will never block up.

The C-41 process is both the benefit and deficit of these films.  You can
get the film processed virtually anywhere sometimes in less than fifteen
minutes if it is a lab you patronize often and it is a slow day.  One of the
problems is that in a typical lab your film may not be treated well and
there will be scratches and other blemishes.  The other problem is that it
is a standard process so your level of control is basically in the exposure
you give the film.

 The last deficit to mention is that because the image is a color dye,
longevity can not be guaranteed.  My ten year old negatives seem somewhat
darker than I remember.

As more and more darkrooms go away, these films are becoming more popular as
it is a way to get quite good images in B&W.  Also, commercial shooters like
it as it can be mixed in with other color work seamlessly.  However, with
the advent of digital, I think the commercial use will fade pretty quickly.

As to a comparison with Delta, it is more a question of which Chardonnay you
prefer.  You will need to shoot similar scenes and decide for yourself.

Regards,

Don

Message from Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Film follow up on Nathan's PAW 32)