Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 135mm 2.8, 3 cam, ser7 v. can
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:38:20 -0400

There is almost no difference in performance in the R lenses.  I have used
sporadically the series 7 lens for something around ten years.  I tend to
use it less as I much prefer the 180 APO.

However, to your point, with the exception of veiling flare the lens does a
good job with reasonably fine detail.  Into strong light colors desaturate.

If you are seeing a really good sale price great, it is a nice performer,
and a great performer by the standards of the sixties.  However, take a look
at any of the 90 2.8's which are very fine indeed, any of the 180's
including the much overlooked 180 F4.0.  On the other hand, if you like the
long look of the 135 then you will be happiest stopped down to something
past F4.0 unless you are doing portraits in which case 2.8 gives sharpness
with a tinge of softness which can be very appealing.

Happy snapping,

Don
dorysrus@mindspirng.com