Subject: Re: college costs (WAS: [Leica] Photo education)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:07:46 +0200

/BEGIN ECON LECTURE
Counting housing, car and food as college costs is a common fallacy but it does
not make it correct. Even if the person did not go to college, s/he would still
need to have a dwelling, a set of wheels and to eat. Hence, room and board should
not be counted because these are not incremental expenses of going to college.
The proper way to calculate college costs is to add the tuition and the foregone
earnings during the four years. Assuming a minimum wage of $5/hour (realistic for
someone without a college education) and a 50-week working year, this amounts to
$10'000 per year plus the tuition. By going to college, the student increases
his/her expected future earnings. If the net present value of that earnings
increase is greater than the net present value of the tuition and the foregone
earnings, then it is worth it to go to college, otherwise not. Room and board
plays little or no role in this calculation.
/END ECON LECTURE

Of course there are other benefits of college which are not easily measured in
monetary terms, such as parties, football games, general enlightenment etc. These
are factored into the calculation one way or the other, even if that calculation
takes place on a subconscious level.

Nathan

S Dimitrov wrote:

> I think that's an average for a private college. Tuition being 8k,
> housing 8k(most live on campus), food 3k, extra fees 1.5k. Actually,
> that's more along 20k school costs for the semester. Factor in the usual
> living expenses, and that can go through the roof.
> But then we have a day-care in Santa Monica that runs over 60k a year.
> You know, movie industry people.
> Slobodan Dimitrov

- --
Nathan Wajsman