Subject: [Leica] Re: XP2 or TCN (martini olive or onion?)
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:36:36 -0700

Before I gave up black & white--sheer laziness: too lazy to put up a
safelight in my darkroom and mix up B&W  paper chemistry--I started using
XP2 exclusively.  Because I had already started working with C41, it was
convenient to be able to develop color and B&W with the same protocol.  I
never compared XP2 (XP1 at first) to the most fine grained films, but I
must say that it was so much finer grained than Plus-X that the two were
really in different ball parks.

What I did learn from reading and confirmed by experiment was that the
appearance of grain, very ugly grain, in XP-type films was failure of the
dye globs to overlap.  This would occur in the thinner parts of the
negative.  If there were sufficient exposure such than the thin parts
corresponded to black on the print, this "grain" would not be visible.  If
the exposure were less, say  medium gray for the thin portions of the neg,
the "grain" would be horrible.  The allegation of the film manufacturers
that the film can be rated from 100 to 1600 is gross dishonesty.  In
practical terms, I found that to get good results, I had to rate the film
at ISO 200.  Possibly ISO 100 would be better, but the negatives would be
so dense that enlarging times could be excessive.  I was definitely unhappy
with the results at ISO 400 and ISO 800 was utterly out of the question.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org