Subject: Re: [Leica] leica-gallery.net ...chitchat
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 06:48:24 +0200

Steve,

I am not a lawyer, but the language below, taken from Yahoo's terms of
service,
seems pretty clear. Yahoo has the right to use the images for promotion
of its
service but not other use, the license is non-exclusive, and valid only
so long as
you continue to use the service. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Nathan

> Yahoo does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available
for
>                               inclusion on the Service. However, with
respect to Content you submit or make
>                               available for inclusion on publicly
accessible areas of the Service, you grant
>                               Yahoo the following world-wide, royalty
free and non-exclusive license(s), as
>                               applicable:
>
>                                    With respect to Content you submit
or make available for inclusion on
>                                    publicly accessible areas of Yahoo!
Clubs and Yahoo! Groups, the
>                                    license to use, distribute,
reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and
>                                    publicly display such Content on
the Service solely for the purposes of
>                                    providing and promoting the
specific Yahoo! Club or Yahoo! Group to
>                                    which such Content was submitted or
made available. This license exists
>                                    only for as long as you elect to
continue to include such Content on the
>                                    Service and will terminate at the
time you remove or Yahoo removes
>                                    such Content from the Service.
>
>                                    With respect to photos, graphics,
audio or video you submit or make
>                                    available for inclusion on publicly
accessible area of the Service other
>                                    than Yahoo! Clubs or Yahoo! Groups,
the license to use, distribute,
>                                    reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly
perform and publicly display such
>                                    Content on the Service solely for
the purpose for which such Content

Steve Barbour wrote:

> Good question Ernie and I don't know the answer to it. Possibly
> lawyers and others on the list may know.  If it's truly solely  for
> Yahoo promotion as it says,  OK;  I guess  you have concern re  sale
> or use of images for other commercial reasons...a potential problem ?
> Does this issue not come up regarding any web site with images?
> anyone?
>
> Steve

- --
Nathan Wajsman