Subject: Re: [Leica] So many issues, so little time
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:02:25 +0200

The presentation of difference is also, as Barthes points out, a strategy
for reinforcing the reassuring (and history-denying) message that deep down,
we are all the same. Life and NG were biggest around the time of the Family
of Man show, or at least shared its basic ethos. I wonder whether the more
modern view that in fact, maybe we aren't all the same, that human nature is
predicated on history rather than on an underlying unifying familydom, for
want of a better word, may have contributed to some extent to the decline of
the medium, by making its basic message seem untenable, or worst of all,
unfashionable? How can we all be a big family when we spend so much of our
energy enslaving and killing each other, when that is the bedrock of our
societies?

I doubt very much that the family of man show would have the same effect now
as it did originally. It would seem overstated, naive, foolish. Although the
denial of history has become an integral part of the current dominating
ideology, we seem to have accepted that "human nature" is a chimera at best,
and cheap rhetoric (ulteriorly motivated) at worst.

Hic!

R.