Subject: [Leica] So many issues, so little time
From: John Bohner <johnbohner@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:26:47 -0700

Many on the list are professional photographers and many others such as
myself are not.  I came across this editorial on photojournalism and
thought it might be of interest to those on the list.  It will be old news
for you pros but perhaps enlightening for the rest of us.  I particularly
liked the line.."The harsh truth is that photojournalism is no longer a
popular medium. The end product is often too unsettling for magazines
geared more to entertaining than informing."  This touched a nerve. I
remembered photo-j from my childhood reading of Nat Geo. or Life. It was, I
assumed  -guys with cameras going some place weird or dangerous to bring me
images of a reality different than my own.  Nieve? of course. But the
willingness to accept the idea that some people live differently than us,
seems to be falling to political correctness or perhaps emotional fatigue
and that may be hurting photojournalism.  In either case I offer Peter
Howe's work for your review.

http://www.cjr.org/year/02/4/howe.asp

John Bohner

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] So many issues, so little time)