Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Paging Hugh Thompson
From: Emilio Perea <eperea@walkereng.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:41:23 -0500

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 03:36:52PM -0400, Simon Stevens wrote:
> To everyone whose name is not Hugh Thompson, please accept our apologies.
> We're having problems with off-list communications.

> > This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
> >
> > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
> >
> > hthompson@ourglobalevent.com
> >   all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts:
> >   it appears that the DNS operator for this domain has installed an
> >   invalid MX record with an IP address instead of a domain name on
> >   the right hand side

That is what I see.  There is only one MX record, and it has an IP
address rather than a name:

 % dnsmx ourglobalevent.com
 10 64.187.53.15

 % dnsname 64.187.53.15
 dnsname: fatal: unable to find host name for 64.187.53.15: timed out

 % telnet 64.187.53.15 25
 Trying 64.187.53.15...
 Connected to 64.187.53.15.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 220 ravand.com MailSite ESMTP Receiver Version 5.2.4.2 Ready
 quit
 221 ravand.com closing
 Connection closed by foreign host.

 % dnsmx ravand.com
 10 mail.ravand.com

 % dnsip mail.ravand.com
 64.187.53.15

So it's possible that hthompson@ravand.com might work...  However, there
are a couple of things that the ourglobalevent.com administrator should
do: change the "MX" record to use a name (mail.ravand.com is already
there, but adding an "A" record for mail.ourglobalevent.com using the
same address is what I'd do) and provide a proper reverse DNS entry for
the server.  Any name will do, but there should be a pointer there for
15.53.187.64.in-addr.arpa.

(I'm copying Hugh, mainly to see if qmail bounces it like Exim does -- I
honestly don't know if this is something that a mail server should be
able to handle rather than bounce.)