Subject: [Leica] RE: Best R Lenses (Personal Opinion)
From: "Leonard J. Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:08:01 -0700

Dear Friends,

In addition to my M-system, I have been using a gradually expanding
R-system kit for the past 17 years or so. At one time or another, I have
either purchased or used every prime lens from 15mm through 280mm focal
length, for almost exclusively outdoors and with Kodak E100VS/SW or Fuji
Provia/Velvia color emulsions, mostly transparencies, for fine art
landscape and nature photography.

Of all of these optics, for the subject matter that interests me and
with the above-mentioned emulsions, my "top five" favorite prime lenses
would be:

5. 15mm Super-Elmar-R f/3.5

This lens was an extraordinarily expensive and carefully considered
purchase, just prior to a summer trip to Montana/Wyoming to photograph
the Grand Teton and Gallatin River valley. Once I got used to its
special requirements (up close as you can get, near ground level, stand
back from the tripod if you don't want to see your shoes in the final
image) I found it a blast to use. It sees the world in a very special
way and for those moments when nothing else will do, this lens at f/5.6
is incredible! Would I buy it again based upon its utility? No way! The
opportunities are just too sparse. Would I part with it? No way! It's
qualities are just too unique not to experiment.

4. 180mm APO-Elmarit-R f/2.8

I think this is the king of medium telephotos; relatively small enough
to use hand-held but preferably on body that's tripod-mounted, tack
sharp wide open with beautiful bokeh but check depth of field very
carefully to assure you're not "over isolating" the main area of
interest.

3. 280mm APO-Telyt-R f/2.8

This is my nature and zoo lens, purchased well-used with 2X APO
Extender, as a lens like this new is out beyond my practical economic
limits. It's a giant PITA to lug about, maneuver, set up on tripod and
break down, just like a large-format field camera. But there's really
nothing like it for reach in the wild, or in situations in which super
isolation is called for. I've used it from time to time to make candid
portraits of audience members at community events, including
photographing symphony orchestra members from a back hall position
during rehearsal. The images on pushed Tri-X (800) look as though I've
become a member of the orchestra. Would I buy it again based upon
usability? Nope. Would I trade it away? No again, as when the
opportunity presents, it's the right axe for the job.

2. 19mm Elmarit-R f/2.8

This objective is my wide-angle workhorse. When wandering around on a
walkabout sans tripod, this is the prime lens of choice that usually
gets mounted if my zoom lens isn't on. Fast enough to capture virtually
anything with 100 ISO transparency film, wide enough to see almost
everything and represent it with distortion that is not TOO obvious.

1. 100mm APO-Macro-Elmarit-R f/2.8

Simply said, there is nothing in the R-system like this lens in terms of
resolving power at maximum aperture, with the possible exception of the
60mm Macro. This and my #2 choice are the prime lenses most used when
the R-system is called for. If I owned only two lenses and a body, these
would be the ones!

All of the foregoing having been said, my utility lens for this system
is a 35-70mm Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH f/2.8 which I bought several years ago
as a demo during Leica Days at a local dealer, to replace an aging
28-80mm Vario-Elmar f/3.5 of Japanese origin whose mechanics had
loosened to the point that the lens hood wouldn't stay deployed and the
focusing ring somehow seemed to reposition itself on its own power. Only
later did I learn that this f/2.8 beauty was a very limited production
item, made of the rarest of all elements, unobtainium.

And now after all of that, I much prefer working with an M6 or 7, when
the photographic problem to be solved fits within this system's inherent
limitations.

Of course, your mileage may vary... Does the foregoing help those of you
who are contemplating what R-system kit to assemble? Any further
questions specific to your own interests or intended use, please feel
free to contact me off-list.

Regards,

/Len/
Leonard J. Kapner