Subject: Re: [Leica] infinity lock on 50 cron collapsible
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:11:01 EDT

Hello Rei:

The likelihood is that the infinity lock, that is, the knob which acts as a
lock, was a carryforward from the 50/2 Summar lens of the 1930's. This lens
did not have a grooved or serrated edge to use to grasp the lens mount and
use it as a focussing ring. One focussed it only by using the knob. The
infinity lock was just a means of locating the lens helicoids at their
innermost focussing limit.

I don't remember for certain whether or not the 50/2 Summitar that intervened
between the Summar and the first Rigid 50/2 Summicron has the grooves; my
recollection is that rudimentary grooves were introduced with the Summitar to
facilitate focussing without resort to the knob. And by the time we get to
the Rigid Summicron, it has not only know and grooves but scallops cut into
the focussing ring.

Just a guess but I imagine that by the 50's when the Summitar was introduced,
photographers had become so used to using the knob for focussing that Leitz
retained it. It could not be employed on the Dual-range of course because of
the complicated mechanical construction  of the focussing mount of that lens.
And the knob disappeared completely on 50mm lenses in 1969 with the
introduction of the first six-glass 50/2 Summicron.

Seth          LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Mike Durling <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] infinity lock on 50 cron collapsible)