Subject: Re: [Leica] infinity lock on 50 cron collapsible
From: Mike Durling <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:36:10 -0400

The original production Leica I (A) also has the tab on its
non-interchangable lens.  The lock is on the body.  The Leica 0,
nullserie, and the UR (Barnack's prototype) Leica have a tab but
apparently no lock.  So the feature goes all the way back.  As with the
Summar there is not much else to hold on to on those lenses.

My source is "Leica, The First Fifty Years" by Rogliatti.

Mike D

SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
 > Hello Rei:
 >
 > The likelihood is that the infinity lock, that is, the knob which
acts as a
 > lock, was a carryforward from the 50/2 Summar lens of the 1930's.
This lens
 > did not have a grooved or serrated edge to use to grasp the lens
mount and
 > use it as a focussing ring. One focussed it only by using the knob. The
 > infinity lock was just a means of locating the lens helicoids at their
 > innermost focussing limit.
 >
 > I don't remember for certain whether or not the 50/2 Summitar that
intervened
 > between the Summar and the first Rigid 50/2 Summicron has the
grooves; my
 > recollection is that rudimentary grooves were introduced with the
Summitar to
 > facilitate focussing without resort to the knob. And by the time we
get to
 > the Rigid Summicron, it has not only know and grooves but scallops
cut into
 > the focussing ring.
 >
 > Just a guess but I imagine that by the 50's when the Summitar was
introduced,
 > photographers had become so used to using the knob for focussing that
Leitz