Subject: RE: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson exhibition
From: glouton@citechco.net
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:11:11 +0600

Pierre Assouline in his book "Cartier-Bresson: the eye of the century",
published in France in 1999 (Plon Publishers) gives the following account
of Capa's recommendations to HCB (pages 204-205 of the French edition):
" Watch out for labels. They sound reassuring but they stick and later you
will not be able to get rid of them. Yours will be "the small surrealist
photographer:. You will be lost, you will become affected. Carry on with
your own style but with the label of  a photojournalist  nd hide the rest
deeply in your heart...' the translation is mine and I apologize for how it
sounds. I am convinced that Capa's original version must have been much
more vigourous.
Pierre Claquin