Subject: Re: [Leica] R9 - flash details
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:17:18 -0400

- --On Sunday, September 22, 2002 11:38 AM -0400 Phil Stiles
<stiles@metrocast.net> wrote:

> Rolfe Tessem wrote:
>
> I don't care whether Nikon calls it "Matrix" or whatever; how can the
> camera possibly know whether I want the background one stop over, one
> stop under or the same exposure as the foreground (just to use one
> trivial example)?
>
> 	Rolfe, the flash system is the main reason I use Nikon for weddings and
> similar events. You can dial plus or minus for either the camera or the
> flash. Bright person against dark background? (This is a popular look
> for the celebrity portrait.) Set the camera -2 stops, set the flash +2
> stops, Viola! Perfectly exposed subject against a darker background. One
> of the keys to the Nikon system is the "D" lens, that tells the camera
> how far away the subject is. I've done A and B tests with "D" and non
> "D" lenses, matrix vrs. TTL. Take a person outside at twilight. The
> Nikon system gives a natural look, background and subject both well
> exposed.  Averaging TTL systems give burned out faces against a very
> dark background. Also, rather effortless flash fill in daylight. With
> 100 speed film, the 1/250 flash sync, and dial in compensation, you get
> a look that doesn't even look as if flash were used, but the shadows are
> open, and there's a slight catchlight in the eyes.
> 	Sorry to run on, I use both Leica M and Nikon. When it comes to flash,
> Nikon's the one.

Phil, I appreciate your comments as they add some information I wasn't
aware of.

However, I think you're mixing up two essentially different points.

The first is whether the camera and flash combination offers enough manual
controls to allow one to achieve the desired creative effect. To me, this
includes the ability to manually turn the TTL flash up or down, etc. In the
example you give, camera minus two stops, flash plus two stops, this is
something the R8 and compatible TTL flash can do just as easily. I do
exactly that with my Quantum T2 and R8 all the time.

The second is whether the matrix metering of the Nikon will offer superior
results to the Leica in, I assume, Program Mode. Again, in the daylight
fill flash situation you describe, the R8 will automatically bring the
flash in at -1 2/3 EV. In my experience, this is usually perfect but you
have the ability to tweak that as well if the situation demands it. It
gives exactly the result you describe -- open shadows and a slight
catchlight.

Finally, no one, not even me, would suggest that the Leica M is much of a
flash machine :-).

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com