Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Telyts and Mod Telyts
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:59:27 -0700

Edward Caliguri wrote:

> Hi all; Robert -
>     Good Stuff! I've used the Modular system for quite some time for both
> wildlife (90% of the time) and sports the other. as Doug knows, I'm testing
> relatively "new" (tey are still boxed!) 400 and 560 f/6.8 Telyts. I think
> I'll need "systems" - So far, in in only a couple rolls of tests, the Telyts
> are just as sharp in the center as the Modulars (comparing 400 to 400, 560
> to 560 at f/5.6 and 6.8 for "relative equality") of course, the Modulars
> focus easier and open wider, and loose NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH when you use
> them wide open. But using the Telyts has advantages (the 400 in paeticular)
> in that you CAN hand hold 'em -- both. They come apart easily, and would
> travel VERY well. They are just like little telescopes (in fact, I bet with
> the Leica ocular, they'd be pretty good telescopes :-)
>     After comparing stuff, I'll have to post some stuff.
>     Thanks,
>     EC
> --

I think I've been on the lug for 5 years, Edward and never heard ANY
discussion of the modulars!!! Thank you!
This is the first. Doug Herr might have briefly mentioned he thought
they were not a good deal compared to the older lenses.
I've always been interested in them. I'm sure when i go thought the
pearly gates they're going to hand me a set of modulars so i can check
up on what I'm missing down there.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com