Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: RIP - Manuel Alvarez Bravo
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:27:21 -0700

Dave Myers wrote:

> My wife Kathy and I saw a small exhibit of some of his photos at the Chicago
> Institute of Art a few months ago.  It was in celebration of his 100th
> birthday.  I have always admired his work.  Seeing them in person was very
> impressive.  Particularly the one showing the murdered, striking worker --
> one of his most famous pieces.  Very powerful.
>
> Dave

When I think of him i think not of his work but the tight headshot of
him by Edward Weston. The only shot on an entire wall of Westons
bungalow which he designed himself although also probably with Charis.
It is one of my very favorte shots by Weston. There is much on Bravo in
the Weston Mexico Daybook

from a website:
The respect which he engendered was encapsulated in Cartier-Bresson's
remark when someone likened Álvarez Bravo's imagery to Weston's: "Don't
compare them, Manuel is the real artist."

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] FW: RIP - Manuel Alvarez Bravo)