Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: RIP - Manuel Alvarez Bravo
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:44:44 -0700

S Dimitrov wrote:

> I've had the opportunity to see MAB's work over the past 30 odd years,
> and I always marvelled at the art world's fawning over him. While there
> is a level of competency inherent in his images, they are nowhere near
> the level of Weston, and some of the others from that era.
> Recently, the Central Library in Los Angeles had both the work of MAB
> and EW showing side by side. It did nothing to dispel my perception of
> the marked qualitative difference between the two. EW is decidedly a
> master photographer, while MAB's work looked like that of a student's,
> with sparse moments of brilliance.
> HCB's appellation of "artist" being given to a photographer is in itself
> laughable, especially when one considers his own agonizing over the
> definition of his commercial work.
> With all due respect to the memory of MAB, his greatest accomplishment
> to me is that of his longevity and not in the quality of his work.
> Slobodan Dimitrov

Just to be clear ... I ran that quote because i thought it was
interesting. Not because i agreed with it. I strongly agree with what
you are saying Slobadan and have for some time.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] FW: RIP - Manuel Alvarez Bravo)