Subject: RE: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:44:31 -0800

On 10/30/02 bdcolen  wrote:

>Far, far, far too many! And I'm not talking about PAWs, I'm talking
>about all the execrable piles of snaps people bring into offices,
>classrooms and insist on showing to everyone. To say nothing of vacation
>slide night at the neighbors. :-)

But those photos clearly mean something to the people who took them, BD, or they
wouldn't be showing them.

I always sort of cringe when I read something like this because it says there
was nothing of value in the simple act of sharing a moment in someone's life
that had meaning for them. Sure they weren't a great photographer, but to show
the pictures, especially to a photographer of recognized skill, can often be
difficult. It's the humanity of the moment, the connection, that has the most
value.

I didn't know people still did vacation slide nights any more. More often than
not they seem to be home videos.

I'd hope that any of us who share our work here would be hoping for the
thoughtful comment that instructed and helped us learn to better evaluate our
own work. Plus it's simply nice to show something of personal value.

Best regards,

Adam Bridge