Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:11:46 -0800

Rafael Alday wrote:

> OH! Perdon we are talking about ART.
> Then please look at this Mark Rabiner's picture
> PURE ART!
> http://www.markrabiner.com/ScooterPages/TomCramer.html
> Oh! yes very good Hasselblad but nothing more.
> Prof. Rabiner excuse me for damaging your royal eyes.
> Rafael

Coincidentally this is about the only photograph I've ever sold to a
serious print collector in my entire life!
I got $250 for it about 8 years ago for a 16x20 fiber archival of it.
Part of the reason it sold though is that this collector collects Tom's
the photosubjects paintings and sculptures.
He wanted his signature on it as well as my own. That's a little different!

I cant tell if you're having fun with me or if you really don't like the
shot but I've looked at a 16x20 shot of it on my wall for most of 20
years and not once have i seen it and winced. I guess I keep liking it
more. That's a lot to say most of my stuff I learn to hate or just get
sick and tired of. It has many things going for it that i wished more of
my shots had. Compositionally speaking for instance I've found it hard
to beat. The roof of the garage in the background reflected in the
models stance on the scooter which incidentally he painted himself as
well as the Volkswagon.
I'm afraid that as far as MY work goes this is as close as I ever get to
a "perfect picture." In my own view. Your milage may vary. One of my few
"Non Mod" scooter people. I still run into Tom by the way he's still in
the neighborhood.
Tom had a featured roll in "My Private Idaho" shot here in Portland
eleven years ago.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com