Subject: Re: [Leica] a leica full o' film?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:12:06 -0800

Rei Shinozuka asked::

>  how many of you guys always keep a leica around
> ready for anything, full of film?<<<

Hi Rei,
There's always an M6, now M7 loaded with Tri-x lying around here some place
or hanging on a shoulder.

Here's a better one. When you fly, what is the first thing you do as soon as
you sit down and before you buckle in?

Why get a Leica out with a wide angle, at least a 21 and set an approximate
exposure. (however, now with the M7 all you need is an aperture set for some
depth and a hand holdable shutter speed the camera can select.)

Then hang it on your knee ready to use immediately. Then buckle up!

If something happens and it does on occasion, not death dealing, but other
scary things. Your camera is up and firing away and you need a  wide lens
because you're in confined space and need all the angle coverage you can get
and still keep a hand holdable shutter speed.

I've done this since 1959-60 when my partners and I at the time started our
business, "Photo Features Limited," out of Ottawa, Canada. Our idea was if
anything went wrong and the plane went down we'd go down shooting till the
end. The survivors would alert rescue or whomever to look for the camera if
there was anything left and not a major fire thing.

The survivors would sell the photos for a "great sum" and the revenue would
go to the widow and children. We always reminded each other everytime we
left on assignment. Our good fortune was we never had to collect! ;-)

To this day I religiously have that camera hanging on the knee and ready.
And tomorrow morning when Sandy and I fly off to parts east it'll be hung
ready to go if necessary. Just think of it this way, sure keeps the mind
active with no time thinking about what the hell is about to happen! :-(
Certainly while yer shooting like crazy. ;-)

The head stone inscription could read .... "His last pictures were his
best!" ;-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant