Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:22:05 -0500

On 11/10/02 5:06 PM, "Dan C" <leicaman@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> In a simplistic way, I've always considered photojournalism to be different
> than documentary photography in the sense that a pj covers a story
> regardless of how it is playing out (like a newspaper or sports
> photographer), whereas a documentary photographer starts out with a
> specific agenda, or thesis, and illustrates it with photographs.

Simplistic is the word

Many PJs are on very specific assignments to provide pictures that fulfil a
particular remit which may or may not be explicit. Rioters riot, bereaved
mothers weep, bad guys scowl, fireman are heroes etc.

Many documentary photographers deliberately do not do much research and turn
up on location without a shotlist so they can, in their eyes, be true to
what they find.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com