Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:53:55 -0500

I've been reading this thread and differ with most.

I think that she meant that the photographer didn't have a good place in
his photograph(s) for the viewer to begin looking at the picture in
hand.

Look at any great photo or painting and find the element that draws your
eye first.  Then let your eyes travel around the picture until you've
finished seeing everything.  You should end up at the first element.

Now, find some pictures, (we all have a few) which don't seem to "look
right." I submit that in pictures with a poor composition, that there
isn't a single element which draws your eye first... a point of
departure for the viewer to use to look at the rest of the picture. I
see a lot of split compositions in some folk's PAWS, and because of the
split, one doesn't have a good point of departure.

Also, another common problem is the one where because of a "loose"
composition, the viewer's eyes don't complete the circuit and instead
exit the picture at one of the edges without returning to the the
starting element, that is, the point of departure.

BD showed us a picture of his son Nick.  The first thing that I see in
that shot is Nick' eyes and then his smile and mutton chops.  Then my
gaze travels left-right-left to his arms, then the background and then
the top of the automobile, which because of the reflection of Nick,
brings my eyes back to Nick's eyes. To me, the point of departure for
viewing the rest of the picture is the eyes of the subject.

All those who don't agree with are probably Republicans :>)

- --
Best Regards,

Jim Hemenway

Photo web site at: