Subject: Re: [Leica] Sierra Autumn
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:27:06 -0800

Wow, some really fantastic images there. For me, it is the colors that
really stand out. I find most of the forms pretty straight-forward,
almost like a postcard shot. The exceptions being the tin-can siding,
the Bodie power box, and the hot springs shot. I guess those are my
favorites because they are a little less 'typical', though I really
like the shot with the silvery trees behind the Aspens too - just
gorgeous.

On a side note, I find digital representations of trees to always leave
me a little disappointed. No matter what resolution they are shot or
scanned at, it seems the leaves just look compromised in comparison to
the chromes. Maybe it is the nature of the final output device (my
monitor) but I see that in my prints too, both my 2400 dpi scans on a
cheapo Epson printer and those from a Fuji Frontier minilab. Do you
find the same thing with your high-res scans? I wonder what it takes to
get landscapes, particularly leaves, to look good in digital...

Cheers, and thanks for the fine post!
- - marc

p.s. the Portra shots look really nice too - sometimes a little more
dynamic range is helpful :-) and the color in that film is quite nice,
if a bit more subdued than your fantastic E6 stock.