Subject: Re: [Leica] motordrive moron
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:50:53 -0800

Bill Satterfield asked:

> Which winder is better , Leica's or Tom's?<<<

Hi Bill,
Be advised my view is based on buying and using three Leica M battery
powered winders / motors over the years and never being satisfied with them.
Swearing each time I'd never buy another simply because of the internal
thumping, clunking, pumping the shutter release up and down like on a pogo
stick.

It wasn't that I didn't need them, I did and do!  Certainly as a one eyed,
left eye photographer where it's essential to have some kind of advancing
equipment to avoid gouging out the right eye, even if it's only along for
the ride, when you attempt to advance film, unless you remove the camera
from your left eye.  And of course in doing so, each time is exactly the
moment of max picture impact.  Read "decisive moment! " ;-)

When I was introduced to Tom Abrahamsson's RapidWinder, a manually operated
advancing and cocking winder I was hooked, period! An engineering
masterpiece precisely made to fit the M like a glove.

It doesn't require batteries, it's silent and extremely easy to use.
Actually with practice and if you wish to shoot a rapidly moving situation
it's possible to shoot 3 frames a second! :-)  No batteries! Love it! :-)

Which is best? Better? Purely from personal experience and use, Tom's
RapidWinder no question!!!  It's like, don't leave home with out it! And not
for me to speak on other folks behalf, but I've never come across anyone who
used one who said they were sorry they got it. Not to say there aren't any
who might have that opinion, but I bet the percentage of satisfied customers
far out weigh any nay sayers!

Besides, I believe the price of Tom's winder is about half the cost of the
Leica battery operated M motor. And in that case you have lots of money left
over for film by going with Tom A's RapidWinder! :-)  ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> (Re: [Leica] motordrive moron)
Message from "daniel" <thedmc@cox.net> ([Leica] motordrive moron)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] motordrive moron)