Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica users don't like change
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:21:02 -0800

my buddy bd Colen said:
>>> I know, Ted, I know - AE is God's gift to photographers and an M7 would
> improve my life the way the washing machine and drier improved the lives
> of housewives! :-)<<<<

Aw BD mon ami,
but the Leica M7 is the answer to many an exposure prayer making photo
taking / making / printing so much more enjoyable than with an M6 or any
other M camera. ;-)

Given we've just souped 56 rolls of B&W film and each and every roll is
identical for exposure while using two M7's 21-35 -50 lenses all indoors and
various locations with in a building. The negatives were beautiful to
contact print as every page required identical exposure time, so we banged
off all the prints and souped about 25 sheets at a time... . Sure beats the
heck out of fiddling one contact sheet at a time. :-)

Think about time saved in making the exposures when all were identical
without fiddling timer. And the developing? Why imagine developing  25
contact sheets in the same time as souping one contact sheet! ;-) Now that's
cool and cuts down darkroom time.

And yes I agree it's too bad the AE wasn't incorporated many years ago,
however it wasn't. Now it is and without question it works like a dream and
makes for greater concentration on subject and focus without aperture ring
fiddling and lining up red arrow heads or red dot. And yes I thought that
system was wonderful and I could make it work very well, but I stand by my
early post comments that the M7 is the best M body of the lot to date.  :-)

And if one is a people photographer and or earning ones keep and working
quickly with people doing things it makes for a greater number of usable
pictures of equal exposure.  However if one is into rocks, ferns, peeling
paint and non breathing things, then any old Leica will do! ;-) :-)

And B.D. old buddy, one of these days you'll come around! ;-)
ted