Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital back for Leica lenses
From: "Sam Krneta" <skrneta@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:05:03 -0600

What's wrong with the 35mm format?  The issue is lenses and CCD noise.
Larger CCD chips give better images, plain and simple.  That is why the
better CCD cameras use larger chips.  There is already a basis for a
35mm
sized image gate, in that the investment in superb optics has already
been
made for most manufacturers.  I'm all for a larger CCD format, in say, a
4x4...but a wide range of lenses don't exist for that size format.

Nothing at all, but I'd love to see it downsized without a loss of image
quality. Maybe I'm dreaming but at the rate that they are advancing in
digital it sure seems that they could downsize the format and still keep
the quality of 35 in the near future. That coming from someone that has
no idea of the limitations or problems related to CCD manufacturing.

> Wouldn't it be nice to have a new format based on a chip the size of
APS
> system with interchangeable lenses?

No.  The images would not be near as good as a ones from a larger
(physically) CCD.  Also, that will not necessarily improve with time.

What are some of the limitations?