Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital back for Leica lenses
From: "Sam Krneta" <skrneta@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:03:49 -0600

Austin,

>The noise increases (both between the sensor elements, and within a
single
>sensor element) with smaller sensor element geometry/spacing.

Does that mean that we are nearing a threshold in CCD development as it
relates to size, using today's format benchmarks? At what resolution
would the laws of physics start working against the 35mm format? Or at
least the use of that format as a benchmark? Are we ever going to see 40
megapixel CCDs based on the 35mm format? I once read that digital had to
get to 40 megapixel to equal some of the finer grained 35mm films, mind
you I read that quite a while ago, when we were still being amazed by 2
megapixel cameras. Personally based on the quality I've seen using my 4,
5, and 6 megapixel cameras I'd guess that at 20 most film would have a
hard time competing.

>Optically, a physically smaller CCD array, with the same sensor count
as a
>larger one, requires higher resolution lenses than the physically
larger CCD
>array would.

Sounds like a good reason for Leica to be looking towards using the M
series of lenses on a digital back. Although I'm sure it's not that
simple. Keep in mind you're dealing with a carpenter here, a rusty one
at that. It's been a long time since I've swung a hammer to make money.

>Physical size/weight can effect the images as well.  For long shutter
speeds
>you are better off with a heavier camera, which is why the M camera
does
>well in low light situations.

No doubt about that. The weight and in my opinion the shape of the M
definitely work.

>If all you want is small images, like 4x6, yes, an APS sized sensor
will
>give you some decent results...but as this is a Leica group, my guess
is you
>must want more quality than that offers ;-)

That would be a very good guess.

BTW: How do you know so much about digital? Any good websites for
someone to learn the basics, something like a CCD Design 101?